Friday, December 7, 2012

The Doctor is IN :)

"HIGH-TECH TENNIS is about so much more than just pressing the RECORD button!"


I remember the first time I said those words to Danny. He focuses so completely on cameras, court numbers & a million little technical details (especially at tournaments) so that we can deliver a complete, high quality video to each customer and I'm not sure he paid much attention to me (grrr). But since I'm the one who interacts with people (which I really do like!), I'm the one who gets to know the players & the parents...& I get involved in lots of little dramas that take place during & after tournaments. I'm certainly not a coach (not even a player!) - but sometimes I feel like I'm a counselor!!! WHY WOULD I SAY THAT?? Well, consider just a few of the recent tennis academy questions that have come my way:
  • "After talking to you for the past 10 minutes, I really feel like you understand what's important & you share my values. We're considering a move in the next six months. Which academy in the Southern Section would YOU recommend?"
  • "We're considering sending my 14-year-old daughter to stay with this coach and attend his academy. Since you live in the state where this academy is located (& we live in a different state), what do you think about this idea?"
  • "I've been checking into various academies for my son but they're all so expensive! Do you think $3200 per month is reasonable?"
  • "Why does it seem like everyone belongs to an academy these days?? My daughter doesn't - and she doesn't WANT to - but now I'm wondering if there something wrong with her (and us) because we have no interest in her playing tennis for 5-6 hours every day!"
  • "Tennis is a big part of my daughter's life - but tennis is NOT her life! I want her to be more than just a tennis kid. We want her to be a good person who's also a good tennis player. Are we crazy?"
Or how about these random questions:
  • "Could you give me some advice regarding my son's recruit video? I trust you and I'd really appreciate your guidance here."
  • "Why is my daughter playing like crap??? I did NOT get up at 4AM and drive 6 hours for this!!" Note that her daughter was competing in a third-set tiebreaker in the Round of 16 at a recent tournament (she did win the match but lost in the quarterfinals of the main draw).
  • "What should I do about my mom getting so mad when I lose?? I'm trying my best but I know she doesn't believe that!! I feel really bad about myself when I lose..and she just makes me feel so much worse!!"
And please do not get me started on the abusive father at the Orange Bowl. Notice the lack of outrage - it's kinda like "ho-hum...what else is new...nothing to see here...let's move on." Danny and I decided long ago that if we had to operate our business in Florida, we could not be in this business. Florida is TOXIC & we refuse to even put ourselves in that atmosphere. But we're adults & we make our own choices...the young players don't have those luxuries. :(

On a related subject, it was last March when we first learned about the massive changes that are coming to junior tennis. We fought back, we watched parents, coaches & others fight back, we've followed the fights, the exploding blogs, the name-calling & on & on. Our position is & has always been: We don't have to like the changes (& we sure don't--we think they'll be bad for junior tennis & we KNOW they'll be bad for HIGH-TECH TENNIS) but we do have to accept them. So we'll move forward with HIGH-TECH TENNIS & SPORTS VIDEO... Basically we'll keep using video to help junior athletes improve their skills & stay focused on something positive - like a sport - so they can avoid dead-end choices & other bad decisions that will limit their chance to have a successful life.
We'd love to help them ALL get to college because we feel a college degree means a BRIGHTER future...but we certainly know that college isn't for everyone. At the end of the day, we're determined to make a difference.

Many of you know that I've been inspired by my friend Elizabeth Edwards, who died two years ago today: 

"I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious.
And for that I am grateful." 
May you rest in peace forever, EE. 
Thank you for supporting & caring about what happens to HIGH-TECH TENNIS! Remember that our video cameras will be looking for YOU!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home