Saturday, March 10, 2012

DAY 4


As many or all of you know Jelena lost today 6-4, 6-3. To be honest with you it wasn't as close as the score says it was. So many things to write so let's get started. My first thing is Jamie Hampton, she came out and from the start of the match took it to Jelena and wasn't intimidated in any way playing a former Champion. Hampton was ranked 99 in the world and said it was her best win by far in her career afterwards.

Jelena has definitely had better days, she was off from the start. Never got her legs underneath her to allow herself to move Hampton around and Hampton went for her shots. If Hampton missed it still kept Jelena from getting any kind of confidence or groove because she was continuously going big with purpose. It was very exciting to be on the Stadium for the match, but to be honest with you I didn't see this result coming. I'm not sure when Jelena lost in the first round before. Yes Hampton played well but Jelena said it best afterwards that she allowed Hampton to play that well.

After the match we had a meeting similar to the Jack Sock meeting and talked some things through. One of the things was coming from Malaysia on Monday and not having your legs quite ready to compete yet. Another thing is Jelena not having a team to travel with and make sure she is ready to perform at the level she wants to. Jelena is very tired right now mentally and physically and is going to take a few days off. I felt and she agreed it would be best for me to go home. As for the upcoming tournaments in Miami and Charleston I'm leaving that up to her.

Beth's brother Jason and my friend Tony came out to watch the match today and that was great. I'm sorry I missed Beth's other brother Pete and family they came out today for the weekend and we probably passed him on my way to Hollywood. I'm flying home to Charleston tomorrow and I can't wait to get home.

I will probably write a final chapter to this journey on my way home tomorrow which will be day 5 on the plane and at the airport. Right now I need some sleep but before I finish this tomorrow I want everyone to know how happy I am that I went and how lucky I am to have had this opportunity. Just being able to see Tony, Jason and Andrea would have been worth the trip but also to see Nadal, Federer and Djokovic made it that much sweeter. Looking forward to the final chapter.

I love going home.......
Jerry

Sorry not sure last email went through. I don't want you to think I'm like the kids I coach that don't call me when they lose and only if they win. So I'm sending this out after a loss.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home