Friday, March 9, 2012

DAY 2


Here they do allow coaching once per set from the players if they request. Jelena had a good hit this morning with Cibulkova and now another short hit before her doubles which should be around 4. I'm going to try and watch Sloan Stevens tonight another young American who is getting some praise. She is in the USA Today today.  Today today I like that. Ok off to another practice.

I didn't even know the girl she practiced with before doubles but I took out my phone and got some good pics of Jelena's return of serve. Djokovic got off the court when we were going on and after practice he played in a pickup soccer game right by the court. There is an area that is gated off so the players and coaches can hang, warm- up and stretch and not be bothered. Coco lost, then Vania King was on the stadium I watched some of that and then this evening I watched Sloan Stevens she is in the 3rd set as I write. Jelena lost her doubles match today with Danilidou, nice girl from Greece. They lost in a super breaker for the 3rd. Jelena was in the wrong position too often in doubles. Her partner was getting her killed and she wasn't backing up. Mystic ladies doubles 101.

Tomorrow I'm getting to the club at around 7:30 Jelena is only going to do a 1 hour hit with Petrova and then rest the rest of the day. I told her each day she is hitting the ball cleaner and deeper. She is going to be very fresh for Fridays match against Hampton.

As I watched her hit in practice today I realized how clean she hits the ball with the same contact point. Most of the other girls hit some good shots but not that consistent "thump" over and over again. Jelena has been doing a lot of work with a trainer here from Las Vegas. His name is Kory and he has worked with her before and flew in for the tournament. Not sure I mentioned this on the first day but I drove from the airport with Brian who is Roddick's masseuse he is Australian and works on Andy and Mardy Fish. They stay at the Laquinta Resort just up the road from the tournament and they have their own court at the Resort. Had my first Federer sighting today getting interviewed.

Time for bed I'm shooting for another 9-5 sleep night. Make sure everyone gets the live scoring of matches on the WTA/ATP app. Just click on Indian Wells and it gives you live scores, schedule of matches and the draw. So check it out.

Last thing - I was sitting watching the Stevens match this evening and 3 of the 4 American coaches sitting next to me weren't American. I guess we don't have enough good coaches in the US or other countries just know the secret. I know it....work hard.
Jerry

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home