Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Lesson from My Man ROGER


A Lesson from My Man ROGER

What do you do when you're looking for your A game and Plan A is not working? That's easy...You just go to Plan B... but then it fails.
Hello, Plan C... and then - well, there's always Plan D... but ... uh-oh.

"I was just trying to figure out how to play a guy
who returns from so far back on a slow court.
Do you try to serve through him?
Which I tried - didn't work."
-ROGER FEDERER


WHAT DO YOU DO?
Today at the French Open, Roger played a quarterfinal match against Juan Martin del Potro and he demonstrated exactly what you do:
You keep your head down, you keep giving it all you've got,
and you remember that it's not over until it's over.
The tide could turn - things could start going your way - but you have to stick around long enough for that to happen...
so you better keep fighting until the end.

DISCLAIMER: I'm sure you must know two things about me by now so let's put them out there. 1) I've NEVER played tennis and 2) I'm quite obsessed with Roger Federer. I make no apologies for either of those things, LOL.

By the way, I'm not the tiniest bit interested in debating who's the GOAT because to me, there's just NO contest - so don't even go there. You might prefer one of those other guys (?!@?!) but the point is this:
even if you're not a FED FAN, you can't deny that he is and has been an extraordinary ambassador for our sport!

We all know that tennis is about so much more than just a series of backhands and forehands, with the occasional serve mixed in for good measure. It’s about valuable life lessons and the game of tennis is really just a disguise. It’s kind of like mixing a little sugar with medicine to make it easier for kids to swallow. Players are learning life lessons that are much, much more important than how to hit the perfect cross-court whatever.
 
Tennis is awesome for lots of reasons…but a big one is because it’s one of the only sports that offers the opportunity for players to develop strategy, solve problems, and succeed (or fail) with no assistance from a team, coach, or any other source. Maybe that’s why a high percentage of CEOs and successful executives were tennis players in their youth. Wish we could cite the source for that info but we definitely read it along the way…and never forgot it.
So even though I'll NEVER play tennis, I learned a really important life lesson from my man ROGER today. Of course I already knew it but a reminder never hurts (and watching Roger in all black? ooh la la)! Nobody ever said life was easy - and gosh, nothing worth having ever comes easy - but if you stick around long enough, something good might happen. That's not a bad lesson for the juniors to learn either...Just sayin' THANKS, Roger, and LONG LIVE THE FED!
BTW, have you seen his new commercial for Credit Suisse?
O..M..G.. ROCK STAR!
Mirka is one lucky woman!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home