Saturday, March 10, 2012

DAY 5 - Part 2 - Jerry's Journey Ends


I have to say there is something very peaceful about writing and getting what you want off your chest, out of your mind and on paper. It's probably different if you are doing it for work that is for sure, more pressure. Right Jason and Pete?

Which brings me to pressure, from the moment that first game was underway yesterday there was stress. From Jelena to her support team.  I was sitting there calm and relaxed actually because I knew she would get into the match and figure it out. (though she didnt) The first game Jelena was wondering what was going wrong and how can this be happening instead of I'll find my range and figure this thing out. It seemed I had more confidence in Jelena then her whole team did because they were worried from the beginning and trying very hard from the sidelines to make a difference. Finally at 3-0 Jelena said in Serbia "calm down" to us in her box. I felt finally she's going to stop worrying about her box and get her mind on the task at hand.  We on the sidelines need to realize when the match starts it's not about us.

I always say anytime you start a match it's a new identity.  You may have played the person 100 times and know everything about them, but once that racket has been spun it's a new match that has never been played.  The player needs to figure that out during the match and get used to the ball and the spins all over again and recognize what your opponent is doing to make you uncomfortable and try to turn that around. Thats what i love the most about matches. You can even watch someone hit and scout and tell your player what they are going to do and it wont make a difference until they feel the ball coming at them and handle the spin. 

Sargis Sargisian former top 40 male player in the world used to tell me he hated watching everyone else play because everyone looked so good. A match is it's own journey, with a beginning, middle and end. The best ones are the ones that are neck and neck throughout. I call them coin flips and those are the reasons we play this game. To be in a match in which no one has any idea who is going to win. Many of the matches people play believe it or not are decided before hand because of level. I'm not going out and beating Nadal in the next 100 times we play. Even though they will all be different matches. (hope I would get 1 game in 100 matches maybe not but I'm sure a point or two on some days).

You need to keep your thoughts in check and not off task,  for example, what if I lose this match? what is so and so going to think ?what is so and so going to say? These are all things that bring the players level down because now the task is no longer the main focus.  You are now wasting precious energy worrying about outside circumstances. 

As a team of coaches,trainers and family our job is many. From practice, transportation, support, education, to eating and sleeping, but once that racket is spun everyone needs to learn to enjoy the match. I have to say I truly did enjoy watching that match and didn't feel any pressure like I felt  Jelena, her mother and her fitness trainer were all feeling and it showed. I've always tried to be a calm coach on the sideline because I learned at a young age that when your parents or coaches are upset on the sideline you are disappointing them, or they are not happy.  I'm not sure any person playing this game is out there trying to miss, not move their feet or having poor execution to disappoint their parents or coach.  I promise everyone is doing there best at that possible time. Someone may feel they can do better and we probably all think we can but not at that particular moment for whatever reason that is.  We tried our best.

How many times has someone come off the court and mentioned that wasn't my best performance today? I will always tell them yes it was,It was your best and worse performance because that is what you gave that day and that is what we have to go by. We on the sidelines yes including you Beth who shouted out last week to Earl while playing his match "hit to his backhand" need to realize these coaching tips during performance are not only cheating but also cheating the growing process of the student. They won't figure it out or find the word search if we continue to tell them what to do or where the word is. By the way the strategy did work and was very successful for Earl. Earl thanks you Beth. 

I don't want anyone to think I haven't done it or it's not going on even at the pro level. You should have heard all of the Serbian coaching coming from my box ( not from me i wasn't there long enough to learn any) and from Jack Socks box the other day by the American coaches. Everyone's doing it but it's still cheating.  Even something as simple as "move your feet", or " hit the ball" is cheating, i should hope in my training i've covered these areas properly and if i didn't this may be my new career. These along with "watch the ball and bend your knees" are my favorites.   This is not easy for the people on the  sideline to understand. I  feel matches are the students test or exam. I like to tell my players they've done their homework and now it's time for the test. My role during the test is enjoy,  observe and support. Not help. Not easy on anyone's ego that is for sure. Everyone wants to feel needed and wanted in their role as part of the team. It's now the players responsibility and everyone on that team needs to know that.

I don't want anyone to think this is anything against my parents and how they raised  me in tennis. I wouldn't be where i am today. I am totally grateful to the amount of money they put into my career, but even more the support and time they have given me. My mother driving to RI for a match that lasted about 45 min and then we had to come home and I wouldn't even let her stop for coffee. (by the way I lost)   I wasn't a very graceful loser at that point of my career and I'm still working on that mom. My dad I think of more of the countless hours of hitting balls with me and never missing a match instead of his sideline antics during my matches. Even though I'm sure I can blame some of those loses on him and he wouldn't mind now.

I'm currently on my flight home and I wanted to mention Christmas cards with stories. We all have either written or read one.    Now I know why people do it. Its an amazing feeling to get my 5 day journey on computer for my loved ones and all of my supporters in life.  I hope everyone enjoyed the journey as much as I have riding and writing it. If  you didn't then no worries, you can always just hit delete. The same way you can throw away those Christmas cards. It's your choice.

I  wanted to let everyone know my hit on match day was great.  I may have missed only 2 balls in the 30 minutes. No broken strings, jet lag or 50 mph winds. (my excuses) (also my best and worst right?) We were hitting on the Stadium and it felt awesome, thinking back if I had to tell you my favorite part it was that hit. It felt like Field of Dreams for a tennis player, and  day I hit a home run. Beth could feel my excitement when I called.

My advice for Jelena would be build a team consisting of coach, hitter and  trainer. Pay for the best and relinquish your responsibilities to enjoying the game, enjoying life, playing the matches and of course Work Hard.....You can't lose....

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for the support. It feels great knowing so many people were behind me.

Sorry about the grammar and structure, remember I'm not like my daughter Liza. Tennis was always higher on my priority list than school. "world needs students to".

Love
Former coach of Jelena Jankovic,
Jerry Albrikes

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home