Wednesday, July 8, 2015

READY FOR A RANT???


One of the biggest, most fundamental aspects of tennis is SPORTSMANSHIP. So why does it seem like we see so little of it? And the bigger question is why does it seem like no one really cares?

Speaking as a FAN <not a person who makes my living in the sport>, I get sooo tired of watching tennis players act like privileged prima donnas - guess I'm mostly referring to the male version but not sure what the proper word would be, lol!!

Junior tennis has so, sooooo many problems but some of the most obvious are the gamesmanship & downright cheating, the players who treat tourney staff like something they just scraped off their shoes & the way too many players feel like they're "above" the rest. So then I got to thinking...  

I'm not saying it's their responsibility as role models <o.k., yes - I am saying that> but geeez. How about if the professionals started acting like professionals instead of behaving like big babies when things don't go their way?? After all, the game of tennis can be extreme frustration that seems almost endless but if you can't take the tennis heat, GET OUT OF THE TENNIS KITCHEN.

You know it's bad when all you have to do is a simple google search by typing in these ADULT player's names & the word "TANTRUM."I'm looking at YOU, Nick Kyrgios. And YOU, Andy Roddick. And YOU too, Ryan Harrison

I was too unaware of tennis back when John McEnroe deservedly earned his "SuperBrat" nickname & even my darling Roger Federer behaved badly <when he was a child, not an adult!>

I know, I know. Controversy generates interest <if it bleeds, it leads> & tennis players have been acting out for decades. Some would argue that ANY publicity is good publicity since tennis seems to be going down the tubes for all but the most serious tennis fanatic. BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT & it certainly doesn't make me want to support a sport that denies but too often lives up to its "tennis is for spoiled rich kids" image.

Bratty behavior is unacceptable - especially when it comes from someone who's supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL & as a fan, I hate to see it soil the pristine sport of tennis ... at Wimbledon, no less!!

Next time you wonder where the bratty juniors got the idea that it's o.k. to behave like spoiled jerks, think about this blog post.

RANT OVER.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home